In 2010, Low Range Off-Road set out to make the absolute best steering kit for the Suzuki Samurai. After 3 years of development and testing, we made our version available to the public.
Why is it the best? If you’ve never heard of Ackermann steering geometry, it’s what prevents tires from slipping while following the path of a turn. While the factory steering system accounts for this geometry, many (if not all) of the steering systems designed for the Samurai do not.
Why would this matter? When making a turn, the proper geometry causes the inside tire to turn slightly sharper than the outside tire so that your tires do not slip or drag. This prevents the excessive tire wear generally associated with sharp turning. This also provides superior traction off-road when fully locked up or in a high traction situation.
We have leveraged Ackermann steering geometry in our design by utilizing the factory steering tie rod location. A taper reamer is included in the Full Kit and the Stage II Kit to ream out your factory arm to accommodate FJ80 Land Cruiser tie rod ends. FJ80 tie rod ends are like the 1-ton joints of the Suzuki and Toyota world and use a huge 23mm thread.
We couple the FJ80 tie rod ends with 1/4 inch thick DOM steel tubing. Almost all other Toyota and Suzuki steering kits use a thinner tube which is not nearly as strong as 1/4 inch wall.
How does this kit stack up against the competition? We have seen and tried other kits – even those claiming to be the best. One of the Samurais we bought had a brand new kit from another manufacturer installed on it. One drive around the block had us wondering, Why is this thing steering so poorly? It felt like there was no caster angle, allowing no return to center. Competitors wrongly say that 2 bolts for the steering arm are not enough…well, the proof load rating of two M12 Bolts is over 24,000 lbs. and we have yet to see this setup fail. Simply put, it’s very strong.
The competition also claims that retapering the pitman arm is not good because it’s hardened steel. Nope. Yet another argument overstates the risk of tapering too far, but our detailed instructions show you exactly how to properly ream your pitman arm. So while others may claim to have the best-engineered steering system, the proof is in the driver’s seat and also in our kit’s proven track record for superior strength and reliability.
- Works on left-hand drive (LHD) models only. If you want an Align-Correct Kit for RHD models, please see our RHD Kits
- This kit is designed to work on Spring Over Axle Suspension (SPOA) setups but will work on most setups over 4 inches of lift with springs and shackles. If running over 7 inches of lift, a drop pitman arm may be needed as well
- Fits 1986-1995 Suzuki Samurai and LHD SJ413
Full Kit (SST-ACCS-FK) Includes:
- (1) Steel steering arm
- (4) HD Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser tie rod ends with jam nuts and cotter pins
- (1) HD drag link, full 1/4 inch wall DOM tubing
- (1) HD tie rod, full 1/4 inch wall DOM tubing
- (1) High Speed Steel (HSS) tie rod taper reamer
- (2) Class 8.8 metric bolts and washers
CALIFORNIA WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm – www.P65Warnings.ca.gov